Saturday, June 2, 2012

Masterchef Musings

Can I just say how really impressed I am with the people at Masterchef Australia? I've seen my fair share of reality shows (like a grandma, actually) and I've seen the kind of things people do to sell the show. Think Hell's Kitchen. What a LOAD of bull. And then came Masterchef and it was novel and intriguing. As the show went on, you realized that these people were actually real. Genuine. I mean, I was in LOVE with Georgie and Gary and Matt was that man in pink pants who was scary but adorable. So not only did you get to learn fancy culinary terms, you got to watch some good food, amazing cooking techniques and great showmanship. Then comes along Junior Mastechef. The first time I saw the commercial, I was skeptical. Kids can be quite annoying (yeah I'm one of those) and watching such amazing chefs patronize kids would be plain sad. And then I saw the second episode. With a huge chunk of cheesecake. So that I could concentrate on the cheesecake if it got too boring. What actually happened was something I never expected. By the end of it, I had said awww so many times that my cousin was begging me to shut up. And I'd eaten one spoon of cheesecake. One. It had never happened before. I was gobsmacked.

What exactly was it that made me like it so much? I loved the fact that they were treating them like adults. And due credit has to be given to the kids too. They didn't throw hissy fits and not one of them cried when they got eliminated. They were mature without being cocky. (Where are these kids in real life?!) Even grown ups don't handle it that well. All the challenges have been set well too. Its easy without being pre-schooler and the kids manage to put up such lovely versions of it. The warm and fuzzy factor kicks in when you see a kid in distress and the chefs help out without making it look like they did. And they have something nice to say about everyone's dish! And yet when it is undercooked or lacks seasoning, it will be put across. Could one ask for more!?

It simply too heart-warming. Love it. Now what worries me though is Masterchef Australia itself. What if the grown-up version just isn't good enough anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment